Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Verse and Worse


 In this edition of Book Talk  I propose to share some of the absolutely superb content to be found in the book of poetry shown below.






VERSE and WORSE—A private collection By Arnold Silcock


A delightful anthology of humorous verse, first published in 1952, this book is a treasure-trove of fun stuff; as a reviewer put it back in the day, ‘It includes the witty, the sombre, the lewd, the sweet, and the tasteless.’

I was fortunate enough to find a copy on sale in the Sunday book-market that used to spring up on the pavements of Daryganj  in Old Delhi, one Sunday afternoon many years ago; and I paid the princely sum of fifteen  rupees for it--or perhaps it was twenty five! When I checked on Amazon in June 2020, a used copy was offered for two thousand nine hundred and fifty- one rupees and sixty- six paise! Nuff said!

The best introduction to this book is to present to you a few of the absolutely delicious offerings it contains. So here goes.













CONSCIENCE
King David and King Solomon led merry merry lives
With many many lady friends and many many wives
But when old age crept over them, with many many qualms
King Solomon wrote Proverbs and King David wrote the Psalms
Dr James Ball Naylor : USA(born 1860)




14 comments:

  1. Wonderful. Could we have more of his poems with clearer pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes will do.It's a treasure trove of delight.
      Do leave your name so I know who I'm talking to.Regatds

      Delete
  2. I’ve known about the bloody Orkneys since I was 8 thanks to this book! It still sits on my desk in a green hardback version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanjay?? Name please to know who I'm talking to.
      Regards

      Delete
    2. Hi Amitabh. Sanjay Saksena here. Delightful stuff.

      Delete
    3. Hey great to hear from you sirji.enjoy.more coming!

      Delete
    4. Yes, Sanjay but Kalra, the real one!

      Delete
  3. I've these verses. They are truly delightful.im curious whether the current generation of youth would understand the idiom?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Great service for those who have been gradually weaned away from reading by distractions like social media and 24x7 TV channels. Inspired to get up and dig out my own old anthologies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is super fun! I loved the pint pot verse. Trivia about how you acquired the book are almost as interesting as the verse. - Sudha Chandrashekar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! Let us have some from Nash and Akbar ilahabadi
    Satish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delightful stuff!! Pandey, do scan some more pages and share. Or point the way to how a copy can be procured.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Identity Politics and Climate Change -- your blog certainly zeroes in on the two primary challenges of our times. After this major stuff, 'Verse and Worse' is gorgeous comic catharsis! Look forward to being introduced to more of your book choices. Pervin

    ReplyDelete